Watercress bouillon (soup)
1 packet watercress
1 inch or less or more ginger, (if you like this flavour do not be shy)
1 Clove garlic
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups of boiled water
1 teaspoon of seaweedSALT
HerbSALT to taste
Optional 2 hake fillets.
1.chop onion and lightly cook in olive oil till transparent,
2.add seaweedSALT, garlic and healthy portion of ginger;
3.place boiling water into pot;
4.add watercress T;
5.season to taste ( I also use a bit of herbSALT);
6.you can also at this point place 2 hake fillets, cut into 3 at this point;
7.serve with whole wheat rice, lentils and a colourful tomato and onion sambal.
This is what we call soul food in our family.
25 ml Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Clove Garlic
5 ml Honey
3 ml Herb Salt
50 ml Olive Oil
Put all the above ingredients into a bowl or a shaker and mix well.
USES of seasoning salts, please click here to find the uses of our seasoning salts.
Tips try our full of flavoured herbsalt to season the following dishes
Scrambeled, Poached or Boiled Eggs
Roasted Baby Tomatoes or Grilled Tomato
Avocardo Pear Sandwiches
Roast Chicken or Lamb
With any Pasta and Parmesan
60ml Cook@Home Durban Curry powder
500g meat off the bone
30ml oil (preferbly coconut oil)
30ml tomato paste
125ml warm water
2 large halved potatoes
1/2 litre of boiling water
Optional: 2 sprigs curry leaves
Optional: 1/3 of a bunch coriander
1. Brown Meat. Remove meat form saucepan.
2. Saute onions in oil for 5 minutes.
3. Add Durban Curry powder, tomato paste and warm water.
4. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add browned meat and boiling water.
6. Cook for 45 minutes.
7. Add potatoes and curry leaves and cook until tender.
Check seasoning and if needed add
Serve with rice and tomato or cucumber samble.
1.A Durban-Style Bunny Chow- served in a hollowed out bread roll.
2.Make a curry with vegeterian ingredients shuch as Dahl and other veggies by replacing the meat in the recipe.
60ml Tandori Marinaide Powder
125ml Full Cream or Low Fat Plain Yoghurt
15ml Oil (preferbly Coconut oil)
8 Chicken Picese or Kebabs
1.Mix Tandori Marinaide powder with yoghurt and oil.
2.Pour mixture over chicken pieces.
3.Marinaide chicken for about 20 minutes
4.Bake at 180 degreese celcius for approximatly 30mins.
Serve with rice or baked potato and vegetables.
1. Replace chicken with fish, lamb or vegetables.
2. For a dairy-free marinaide replace yoghurt with lemon juice.
3. It can also be used to make a mild curry
Honey BBQ Chicken
60ml Honey BBQ Marinaide powder
75ml Tomato Sauce
25ml Lemon Juice
30ml oil (preferbly Coconut Oil)
8 Chicken Drumstick or Chicken Breasts
1. Mix Honey BBQ Marinaide powder with tomato sauce, honey, lemon juice and oil.
2.Cover chicken in mixture.
3. Marinaide chicken for 20 minutes.
4.Bake in oven for approximatly 30 minutes.
Serve with baked potato.
1.Change the chicken for pork rashers.
2. It makes a dilicious rub for steak.
3. You can also leave the tomato sauce out and replace with 15ml dryed ginger and 30ml soy sauce and grated lemon zest.